Dangerous Food For Dogs
Foods that are perfectly suitable for human consumption, as well as other animals, may be toxic and even poisonous to your dog, posing a serious threat to their health and well-being. Why? Because all animals have very different rates of metabolism. Metabolism is basically the process of breaking down food and turning it into energy.
Chocolate contains a compound known as theobromine. Derived from the cacao tree, theobromine is the primary alkaloid in chocolate and contributes to its mood-altering effects. Theobromine is a member of the methylxanthine family, which includes other stimulants like caffeine. For humans, the amount of theobromine found in chocolate is low enough to not be a risk; but for smaller animals like dogs and cats, it can be toxic. When ingested, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high blood pressure, panting, seizures, and in some cases, death. Dark chocolate (like baker’s chocolate) contains the most theobromine, making it more dangerous than milk chocolate or white chocolate.
2. Onions and Garlic Are Poisonous to Pets
Onions and garlic contain toxic ingredients that can damage pets’ red blood cells and cause fatal consequences. Pets may develop vomiting and diarrhea, which may progress to anemia, weakness, and labored breathing. Onions, either raw or cooked, are more dangerous; a cat or dog can be seriously harmed by only a small amount. Garlic is less toxic, as pets need to ingest large amounts to cause illness.
Consuming caffeine can cause abnormal heart rhythm or lung failure in dogs, which can ultimately lead to death. Coffee, tea and other sources of caffeine should be kept away from dogs. It is very dangerous for dogs.
Bell Peppers are okay to feed dogs. Dogs are carnivores and prefer meat to vegetables, but there are some benefits to veggies. For example, green peppers are a low-calorie snack that is packed with vitamin C and beta-carotene. Be sure to chop peppers into small pieces because the outer skin can be tough and difficult to chew. Pureeing or steaming the peppers makes them easier to consume and digest. As with most human food, don’t overdo it because too much could lead to sickness. It might go without saying, but never give your dog spicy varieties such as jalapeños or hot peppers!
Dogs are susceptible to the same bacteria as humans when it comes to raw and undercooked meat – salmonella and e. coli – and bones can cause obstruction or puncturing in the gastrointestinal tract. Of course, wild dogs consume both, so once in a while it shouldn’t be harmful. Just remember that the more often they have them, the higher their risk.
Fun fact: humans and cats are the only two mammals that tolerate milk well as adults. Dogs have a low amount of lactase, which helps break down lactose, and giving them these products can cause upset stomachs and diarrhea.
Well, if you have an avocado plant in your house or in your yard, your dog may overindulge in unripened fruit and persin, but the real danger comes from the seeds, stems, and pits, all of which are difficult to digest and can cause choking or gastrointestinal blockages, which can be fatal. If you have an avocado tree, as many people do in certain parts of the United States and elsewhere, make sure your pup can’t get anywhere near it or the fruit that falls to the ground. Prepare avocados for your dog by removing the harmful parts, especially the pits, and use avos that are ripe. If you do, it is likely that your dog can safely enjoy avocados, but as always, you should ask your vet before sharing human food with your dog.
Your pooch may beg for a bite of what you’re having for dinner. Perhaps you feed them scraps because you don’t want to see them going to waste. While you may believe that you’re giving your dog a treat, the truth is that some of the foods that we eat are dangerous to your dog’s health. We spend money on our pets to ensure that they are properly vaccinated, have regular checkups at the vet and eat the very best pet food formulas available, but we may be causing them harm by giving them food off of our plates. Dogs have a unique digestive system and there are some things that could make them sick or cause injury.
If you’re baking, make sure that your dog never tries any of the unbaked dough. In the warm tummy of your doggy the dough expands and can lead to serious bloating and potentially a twisted stomach, owch! The yeast in the dough has it’s pitfalls too since it can go on to ferment alcohol in the stomach and lead to poisoning. This can cause them some serious digestive problems and even death. It’s just not worth it.
Although experts aren’t quite sure which substance is toxic in grapes and raisins, they do know that these foods can cause kidney failure.
Watch that glob of fruit salad you dropped on the ground, and keep the oatmeal and raisin cookies from Rover. Although experts haven’t nailed down exactly what the toxic substance is residing in grapes and raisins, they say it’s best to avoid giving them to dogs, as they can cause kidney failure.